21 April 2010
Heat the following in a saucepan on low for around 20 minutes:
1/2 C Honey
1 C Raw Sugar
Test a drop in a small bowl of cold water after 20 min. If you like your bars chewy then it's probably enough... if you like 'em crunchy you'll probably need to boil it for a wee bit longer.... do a test in another few minutes. Be very careful not to burn it!
In the meantime...
Combine the following in a large bowl:
1 1/4 C Rolled oats
1 C Coconut
1/4 C LSA
1/2 C Bran
1/4 C Pepitas
1/4 C Sunflower Seeds
2 T Sesame Seeds
1/4 C Chopped Almonds
1/4 C Chopped Pecans
1/4 C Raisins, Craisins or Sultanas
1/4 C Chopped Dried Apricots (Monkey's Ears as my mother calls them)
1/4 C Chopped Dates
Add your sweet buttery mixture to the dry ingredients and mix it all through.
Place mixture in a lined roasting pan. Get some more baking paper out (how good is that stuff!) and place it on top of the mixture and push it down with the palms of your hands. Leave on the bench to set and cut in to bars!
* If you've opted for the crunchy bars then make sure you cut them before they fully set...
Sometimes I leave out the fruit and add more seeds or different nuts, or no seeds or fruit and all mixed nuts. I have tried using more honey and less sugar but it doesn't work as well.
I have made 'healthier' muesli bars in the past but they never stay together... and surely the amount of roughage in these bars outweighs all that butter and sugar?
15 April 2010
Following the lovely Pip's Ten Things...
Here are mine...
- I was born in a hydro-town called Twizel
- I got a car when I was 14, my learner's permit when I was 15 and my drivers license at 16
- My name had an E on the end until we moved to Australia when I was 5 and my parents realised they forgot to put it on my Birth Certificate (my brothers birth certificate has a mistake on it too)
- I am a qualified Signwriter
- I live right by the beach but hardly ever go there
- Both of my parents have motorcycles and tattoos
- I'm 30, but people always think I'm 22
- I lived in Thornbury for 8 years and it's the longest I've lived anywhere
- I have 3 sewing machines and 2 overlockers
- I always laugh at things other people don't find funny
14 April 2010